Grizzlies defeat Dallas in OT thriller
The Grizzlies ended the regular season with a 106-105 overtime win over the Mavericks on April 17. Zach Randolph finished with 27 points and 14 rebounds for his 47th double-double of the season. The win gives Memphis the seventh seed in the Western Conference and a first-round playoff matchup with the Oklahoma City Thunder. Box Score | Round 1 Playoffs Schedule.
- With tonight’s win over Dallas, Memphis clinched the seventh seed in the Western Conference playoffs and will face the Oklahoma City Thunder in the first round… Dallas will be the eighth seed.
- One of 10 first year NBA head coaches, Grizzlies head coach Dave Joerger finished with the best record among the ten (50-32) and also tied Hubie Brown (50-32 in 2003-04) for the best record in franchise history by a coach in his first full season… Tonight’s win clinched Memphis’ third 50-win season in franchise history.
- Memphis dominated down low against the Mavericks, outrebounding Dallas by nine (48-39) and outscoring the Mavericks in the paint by 16 (58-42).
- Memphis tallied 106 points (43-of-86 FG) and improved to 63-8 over the past two seasons when scoring at least 100 points… The Grizzlies also outshot Dallas .489-.478 and are now 43-7 when outshooting opponents this season.
- The Grizzlies won for just the seventh time this season when allowing its opponent to score at least 100 points… Memphis was 6-20 entering tonight in such games.
- Memphis continues to thrive in close games, improving their record in games decided by three points or less to 10-4… Only San Antonio and Brooklyn have better records in such games this season.
Key Stats of the Night
- Memphis stretched its home winning streak to 14-games, the longest single-season home winning streak in franchise history…Prior to this stretch, the Grizzlies’ longest home winning streak was 13 games from Feb. 8 – April 9, 2013… Memphis has now won 20 of its last 22 games at FexExForum overall… The Grizzlies have not lost at home since Feb. 5 against Dallas.
- Tonight also snapped Dallas’ six-game road winning streak, the longest such streak for the Mavericks since the team won six consecutive road games from Feb. 12 – March 7, 2011… Dallas finished the regular season 13-13 on the road against Western Conference opponents compared to 10-5 against Eastern Conference teams.
Key Run of the Night
- Trailing by four (102-98) with 2:07 left in overtime, Memphis closed the game on a 8-3 run to earn a 106-105 win.