Five things to know about NOLA's summer league roster (7/2/13)
Five things to know about NOLA’s summer roster
1) The first-ever Pelicans summer league roster includes five players who finished the 2012-13 NBA regular season with New Orleans. It likely will be the largest such contingent of returnees on any squad in Las Vegas next week.
2) The roster is not finalized. There will be additions made to it between now and the Pelicans’ first game on July 12.
3) Pelicans fourth-year assistant coach Bryan Gates will serve as the summer team’s head coach. Gates is a two-time D-League Coach of the Year.
4) An NBA veteran on the roster you may be somewhat familiar with is 6-foot-7, 255-pound Jon Brockman. Once nicknamed “The Brock Ness Monster” as a Sacramento rookie, the power forward has played in three career games vs. New Orleans. He’s collected an impressive 20 rebounds in just 39 minutes during those appearances.
5) Two members of the New Orleans summer roster, Austin Rivers and Elston Turner Jr., have fathers who played in the NBA. Doc Rivers (1983-96) and Elston Turner Sr. (1981-89) were guards who faced each other in the 1980s.