Five things to know on Day 1 of free agency
1) NBA teams were allowed to begin negotiating with free agents at 12:01 a.m. Eastern this morning (11:01 p.m. Sunday night in the Central time zone). It’s not uncommon for there to be reports of multiple contract agreements in the first few hours of July 1.
2) Teams are not allowed to announce the official signing of any free agent until July 10. The moratorium freeze on signings in 2013 is from July 1 through July 9.
3) In the meantime, as John DeShazier wrote, “the Pelicans are looking to improve their roster before the beginning of next season in a very aggressive manner.”
4) In non-free agency news, the Pelicans unveiled their brand-new court design at the New Orleans Arena this morning.
5) Check out this video from the team’s draft party at Manning’s, which featured Pelicans players Anthony Davis and Jason Smith.