Five things to know on Day 9 in Las Vegas
1) After back-to-back games Sunday and Monday, the Pelicans will hold practice at 11 a.m. local time in Las Vegas. New Orleans improved its record to 2-1 in summer league with a 66-62 victory over Cleveland. As a result, the Pelicans are likely, but not guaranteed, to receive a first-round bye in the first-ever tournament portion of Las Vegas summer league. Of the 22 participating teams, 10 of them will avoid Wednesday’s first round. The league is using a point system to break ties; New Orleans earned 11 of a possible 21 points by winning two games (3 points apiece) and five quarters (1 point each).
2) Check out some of the best action shots from Monday’s game in this summer league photo gallery.
3) As the Pelicans’ own Joel Meyers described it on NBA TV, New Orleans rookie Jeff Withey broke into volleyball mode during one defensive possession against Cleveland.
4) Here are the current league standings entering Tuesday. There are 10 teams with records of 2-1 or better, as well as three teams with 1-1 marks who wrap up pool play on Tuesday.
5) Looking ahead a bit, the team announced that dance team auditions will be held on Saturday, Aug. 3.