Five things to know entering the holiday
1) From an official-business standpoint, as is the case with all 30 NBA teams, the Pelicans cannot make any announcements of signings or trades until Wednesday, July 10.
2) Along the same lines, although you may read reports that a free agent has agreed to terms with an NBA team, a deal can’t be consummated until July 10. Restricted free agents cannot sign offer sheets until July 10 at the earliest. From the date of that signing, a restricted free agent’s incumbent team will have three days to match the offer sheet, or lose the player’s rights.
3) Including USA Basketball’s minicamp, which is scheduled for July 22-25, some portion of the Pelicans’ basketball staff will be in Las Vegas from July 8-25.
4) New Orleans’ summer league squad will begin practicing Monday. The Pelicans have scheduled a total of seven practices next week, which includes two-a-days Tuesday through Thursday.
5) It’s never too early for a player to start thinking about what he’ll do when he hangs up his sneakers. Aspiring broadcaster Jason Smith received some intense hands-on instruction recently at Syracuse’s “Sportscaster U.”